When my seniors want a photo experience that is seriously elevated, I always suggest that they and their parents meet with my stylist and associate, Ashley Roda. As the owner of Iconic Details, Ashley brings her sophisticated and timeless eye to helping seniors choose a wardrobe and accessories that turn the senior photos into beautiful works of art! I asked Ashley to explain her process, which she does below, by showcasing the collaborative work she did with West Linn Senior Bethany. Read on!
Hello Seniors,I had the pleasure of styling Bethany, one of the sparkling seniors photographed by Kelly Mooney. Are you excited about working with Kelly but not sure what to wear for your shoot!? Not to worry! We’ve got you! Kelly invites seniors to meet with me before their photo shoots to help them style various looks to wear & choose from. To prep for our time together, I ask seniors:
- To pull out your favorite looks: What are the outfits you love to wear the most? The ones that others say “That is so YOU!” when you wear them.
- Do you have any sentimental items you want to include in the shoot? Jewelry or props (dance shoes, letterman jackets, family heirlooms, etc.).
- Depending on how many locations, I ask you pull: 1 Casual-look, 1 Dressy-look and 2 that show off your personality.
- During our time together: I come to your home, see what you’ve pulled and help you style each look to be a “Perfect 10.”
When we meet, I like to know:
- Who you are: What have you enjoyed studying in school? Are you in any after school programs? What do you plan to use these photos for? What do you have planned after you graduate? What do you want to share about yourself through these photos?
- Tell me about your shoot with Kelly: Where are you going to shoot your pictures? Indoors or out? We need to take this into consideration so we don’t have you in a swimsuit in a cafe or high heels in grass!
Styling Bethany was a pleasure. She had a pile of her favorite clothes pulled out of her closet and layed out on her bed when I arrived. Bethany shared with me she had two locations she planned to shoot at: Downtown Portland & The Rose Gardens. As a petite dancer she wanted to make sure her legs would look super long, and wanted help pulling outfits together that would elongate her physique. Bethany had her own amazing natural style, both edgy and artsy. While she shared with me her favorite ways of pairing things, I helped her in picking the right patterns, accessories and completing each look.
Patterns can be tricky, if the pattern is too small, shiny or busy, details can be lost or give a dizzy effect on camera. Bethany loved vibrant patterns so this was one of the the things I helped her with. Choosing larger bolder patterns vs. the smaller floral ones.
Accessories are an extension of your personality so with each look I asked Bethany how she felt when she wore the outfit and tried to match accessories that invoked the same emotions.
Completing each look we made sure she had:
- Top & Bottom (or Dress)
- Flow: Meaning every item in the outfit looks like it goes together, nothing is clashing or screaming “Look at me!”
We styled a total of six looks for Bethany, taking pictures of each look so she would remember what went together and which accessories went with each outfit. I also shared this album with Kelly so she could see what we had pulled together and see what had inspired us.
With the outfits we styled and the magic of Kelly’s photography, you will see Bethany’s photos show her edgy sophistication, artsy creativity, natural beauty and vibrant personality.
~ Wardrobe Stylist, Ashley Roda
Link to Bethany’s Pinterest Board: https://bit.ly/2rc0Gqt
If you are interested in working with Ashley to help you prepare for your senior session, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org – and check out her website at http://www.IconicDetails.com.